22 10 / 2013

patrickruffini:

The Internet does weird things to people, including to some of my friends. One of those weirdnesses comes from my tech-savvy friends on the left, who sincerely embrace an agile, entrepreneurial, bottom-up culture in their professional and voluntary pursuits, yet forcefully argue for the top-down…

The usual cited figure is that 50% of all IT projects fail. This figure is not specific to the public sector. So it’s no great surprise to see a complex IT project run into problems.

Also? Entrepreneurism is great. But way more than 50% of startups fail. The top 10% of funded startups are expected to recoup the losses from the other 90% that fail. So apparently, if you want the best odds for a successful IT rollout, a more entrepreneurial approach is the last thing you want.

15 2 / 2013

parislemon:

The Fall TV Lineup May Include Apple Dominating Gaming

I’m sure Apple will dominate the living room as thoroughly as it dominates the world smartphone market… oh wait, that’s Samsung. My bad.

parislemon:

The Fall TV Lineup May Include Apple Dominating Gaming

I’m sure Apple will dominate the living room as thoroughly as it dominates the world smartphone market… oh wait, that’s Samsung. My bad.

10 1 / 2013

parislemon:

Tom Warren of The Verge got an early look at Microsoft’s Surface Pro. His immediate reaction:

Like the Surface RT before it, the Surface Pro isn’t the perfect notebook or the perfect tablet. It’s still difficult to use this device on your lap and the screen angle isn’t adjustable. It’s also a 16:9 tablet so using this device in portrait is comical. You could say these are obvious flaws in the product, but if you’re willing to forgive both of them for a portable power house with beautifully engineered hardware then the Surface Pro isn’t going to disappoint. The question of battery life remains, and it’s an important one, but Microsoft has set up Windows 8 with some great hardware here. All that remains is more touch-friendly apps to take advantage of the focus on a new UI in Windows 8.

The regular Surface was a big fail for a number of reasons — and it was hardly just a lack of apps. It sounds like the Pro version is significantly faster, but that means a huge hit in battery life, a not-insignificant increase in thickness, and more weight. Oh, and let’s not forget, this thing is also going to cost a whole hell of a lot more.

So remind me again by this will be a success where the regular Surface wasn’t? Because the kickstand improves the viewing angle by four degrees? Because it has a stylus? I mean, it actually comes with a stylus!

Warren’s conclusion seems close. This isn’t a tablet. It’s much more of a notebook, but it’s an expensive one (by PC standards) that you can’t actually use in your lap. So what is it? I don’t think anyone knows. Including people inside Microsoft. And ultimately, most importantly, consumers.

This is for people who need a notebook that runs Windows, but also want a tablet and don’t want to haul around a separate device. This appears to be a good solution for people who don’t need to use it as a PC in their actual laps, but there are convertible tablets from other vendors that can be used in the lap. The main selling point: this is absolutely the best tablet you can buy on the market that is also a full-fledged Windows PC.

23 2 / 2012

parislemon:

Michael’s take on blogging/writing and “objectivity” is a good one. It’s almost as if what he says makes too much sense so the debate must go on! Which of course makes no sense.

At some point I’ll get to stop writing about this topic. I’ve been trying to move on, because quite frankly, it’s gotten boring. I’ve ignored requests to comment or to go on shows to talk about it, but the stories keep getting written anyway. 

You’d think these guys have something to lose or something…

Anyway, what it all boils down to — what it has always boiled down to — is that a few folks in the press think we should stop writing since we’re also investing. 

Okay. We’ll get right on that. 

Oh wait, you mean we don’t actually have to? There’s nothing that’s actually going to stop us? Odd. All these stories are written like there is. I swore I read that the God of Journalism was going to descend from the Pillars of Objectivity to break our fingers with his pearly white cane of truth. 

Want me to stop blogging? 

No.

Microsoft has blogs. Google has blogs. The companies VCs invest in usually have blogs. It’s not like VCs themselves have some special magic form of bias that not even actual companies working to produce profits directly have.

How is this even an issue?